Here’s a bit of a retrospective on the past year, though. I arbitrarily divide the calendar year into spring (Mar–Jul) and fall (Aug–Feb) monitoring. We’ve still got February to go, but my data aren’t likely to change much before the end of this next month.
The irony of having marked some windows in 2016 and seeing a new high count of dead birds in 2017 is not lost on me. I’m not sure what to think of that other than a standard admonition against drawing conclusions from just a year of data. Either way, 2017 was startling. My previous high count of 41 casualties occurred in 2010. The ensuing 5 years accrued fewer than 30; last year we were back up to 40. The 2010–2016 average was 37. Thus, the 61 casualties I found in 2017 was fairly shocking.
I found this Song Sparrow at the south entrance portico today. The junco in the northwest alcove is now gone, but the one in the southwest alcove remains.
Both on the west side; one north and one south. Both evidently adult males, too. I left both in place for a removal trial.
Poor little sucker died at the southwestern alcove, and was stepped on. 😦
Regular readers might recall that I encountered this broken window on Labor Day. I reported it that day, and it took three weeks for anyone to even apply caution tape. This week I encountered two window fellas replacing it with a bright new window.
Unfortunately, the new one was a little too clean for this Ovenbird, only the second I’ve had at the NRC.
This was an AHY-U bird, bulging with fat (coded to a 3) and tipping the scale at 23.5g.