Today I found a SY Painted Bunting at the main north entrance and a Nashville Warbler at the northwestern alcove.
Remnants of a fleshy gape reveal this Painted Bunting to be a SY.
Pointy beak, yellow throat, and bold white eyering on gray hed = Nashville Warbler.
Painted Bunting at the main north entrance.
These rects sure look truncated though.
Molt limits on display: green tertials contrasting with brown primaries.
Damage to the lower mandible.
Nashville Warbler at the northwest alcove.
This one was twofold odd – the bird was found in an odd spot and I’ve clearly overlooked it for a few days given the state of decomposition. The beetles, slugs, etc. were all over it.
The current gap of collisions I’ve enjoyed over the past week or so was interrupted this morning by a beautiful male Nashville Warbler in the northeast alcove. He was an AHY bird with a fat score = 2 on my 3-point scale. This is the 11th Nashville Warbler I’ve found on the project.
That southwestern alcove continues to get a workout this fall, but again, the unfortunate victim was found in front of untreated glass panes.
Today it was a hatch-year (HY) Nashville Warbler; sex undetermined with fat score = 2.
When I found the bird in position on the cement as indicated in the above photo, it had already been heavily scavenged by ants. I moved the carcass to a location on the grass on the north side of this southwestern alcove (see photo, top right) to set up a removal trial.
Nashville Warbler. Female, AHY, fat = 1. I originally misidentified this bird as an Orange-crowned, but the complete eye-ring and white belly confirm its ID as Nashville.
I found a very fresh Nashville Warbler (HY female; fat = 2) at the north entrance and a Ruby-throated Hummingbird (HY male) just a few feet from the Painted Bunting carcass. The ants had gotten to the hummingbird, so I decided to leave it in place to see how long it lasts. Here is the warbler:
Here’s the spatial distribution of casualties thusfar:
I found the first warbler of the season today, a Nashville.