7–18 October 2017 – all kinds of stuff

I’ve been behind with stacks of papers to grade, and they’ve kept me from keeping up as often as I’d prefer. During the period from October 7–18, I conducted 8 surveys, skipping Oct. 8, 14, and 15. The data from these last 11 days look a bit like this:

  • Oct. 7: HOWR
  • Oct. 9: no casualties
  • Oct. 10: no casualties
  • Oct. 11: LISP
  • Oct. 12: TUTI
  • Oct. 13: no casualties
  • Oct. 16: OCWA, SOSP, LISP, and NAWA
  • Oct. 17: no casualties
  • Oct. 18: no casualties

Just past mid-October, and we are crushing the annual mortality count right now with 55 dead birds.

Oct. 7 – I found just the third House Wren on the project.  This one ended up on a warm air outflow grate from the air conditioning unit and was quickly desiccated.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 5.44.08 PM

Oct. 11 – I collected this Lincoln’s Sparrow from the south portico.

Oct. 12 – This Tufted Titmouse was a surprise in the southwestern alcove.

Oct. 16 – This was not a good day for migrants. I found an Orange-crowned Warbler at the northeast alcove, a Song Sparrow at the south portico, and a Lincoln’s Sparrow at the southwestern alcove. Shortly after completing my survey, a Nashville Warbler was turned in from a collision in the southwestern alcove.

 

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.25.38 PM

 

5 October 2017 – Ovenbird

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 8.48.21 AM

Regular readers might recall that I encountered this broken window on Labor Day.  I reported it that day, and it took three weeks for anyone to even apply caution tape. This week I encountered two window fellas replacing it with a bright new window.

Unfortunately, the new one was a little too clean for this Ovenbird, only the second I’ve had at the NRC.

This was an AHY-U bird, bulging with fat (coded to a 3) and tipping the scale at 23.5g.