We’ve had soaking rains every day for most of the past week. This weather might have contributed to my failure to notice the waterlogged Swainson’s Thrush I found in the northwest alcove today. It’s not only a sodden mess on the outside, from its state of decay it seems to have spent some time in its unusual location (tucked near the edge of the sidewalk in the muddy grass) before I found it today. I suppose it’s possible to have come in yesterday morning after my check, but I think more likely it came in on May 8 sometime, and I just missed it. I’m confident that it wasn’t there on May 7. Rather than second guess myself I’ll list it as a May 10 casualty unless any of my collaborators have any information to suggest otherwise.
I left the carcass in place for a removal trial.